Brian Smock, PGA
Brian assumed the position of Head Pro at the Coronado Golf Course on February 1st, 2017. Brian was an employee at the Coronado Golf Course and a member of their instruction team for over four years. A customer of the course for over 30 years; Brian started golfing here at the age of 12 and enjoyed the opportunity to participate in Junior Golf, Coronado High School team play and Professional competition on this course.
Today he is proud to be the courses highest grossing teaching Professional and is passionately committed to enabling others to reach their full golfing potential and maximize their enjoyment of the game.
Brian's professional playing career spans 18 years and took him all over the world. He played professional golf on three continents, in countries that included Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Panama, Chile and Colombia. Brian was on the Nationwide Tour (now Web.com Tour) for more than 10 years and achieved a career high world ranking of 251. Brian has five second-place finishes on the Nationwide Tour, was the leading money winner in two different seasons on the Gateway Tour with five first place finishes and is a seven-time finalist at PGA Tour Q School.
Brian has nine course records including seven in San Diego County. He carded his lowest round ever at the Coronado Golf Course shooting a record setting 60.
Representing the City of Coronado as the Head Pro at the Municipal Golf Course is Brian’s ultimate goal. It enables him to enjoy his primary passion on a day-to-day basis and affords him the opportunity to have a significant and enduring impact on the quality of life for City residents.
Brian leads all facets of Golf Couse operation and is the principal spokesperson for Coronado Golf Course operations. Brian also serves as the Head of Instruction.
Petra Cole, PGA
PGA Professional Petra Cole is a recent addition to the Coronado Golf Course teaching staff. She is a part time teacher here and at Torrey Pines where she has been in all sorts of capacities since 2009.
Petra brings immense talent and teaching abilities with her and has worked in all facets of golf operations. She has been a class “A” PGA Professional since 20015 and has a passion for player development. She still actively competes when she can and notably won the 2018 Champion Women’s Stroke Play Event.
Petra comes from a really large family (6 siblings and 15 nieces/nephews) and one of her aspirations is to follow in the footsteps of her father who is a lifetime member of the PGA. She played college golf at San Diego State and got her Masters in Public Administration.
Some of her accomplishments are:
- Starting the Susan G. Komen Foundation San Diego Golf Clinics at Torrey Pines held bimonthly where half of the proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen San Diego
- Starting the YMCA La Jolla golf clinics for both adults and children including SNAG golf classes for children 4-7
- Working alongside head professional teaching Wounded Warrior Golf clinics
- Coaching PGA Junior League
- Coordinating and teaching Therapeutic Recreational golf classes for the City of San Diego’s TRS department
- Head Golf Coach of Pacific Trails Middle School Golf Team 2015-2017
Mark Geddes, PGA
Mark comes with a unique background. Being born and growing up in Liverpool, England. Moving to Phoenix at 17 on a golf scholarship to Grand Canyon University. During his time Grand Canyon Mark made All-Conference, All-Region and All-American Teams. Mark played in some of the most prestigious amateur events in the world, including a 21st place finish in the St. Andrews Links and a T-9 finish in the British Amateur. Mark reached a high of 91 in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.
Mark turned Professional out of college and played on numerous mini tours and in 2016 he played on the Mackenzie Tour in Canada. Mark entered the PGA Associate program in late 2017 and achieved his PGA membership in January of 2020. Mark was named the Associate player of the year in 2018 and 2019.
Mark has been on staff at Coronado Golf Course since March 2017, he began teaching shortly after he began. Mark is a well-rounded instructor who teaches people of all ages, from full swing to short game to on-course strategy.
Chris Lempa, PGA
In a day and age where everyone wants to hit the long ball, my philosophy puts an emphasis on the scoring clubs. I believe the quickest way to better scores is through excellent wedge play and putting.
We will work from the green to the tee with the putter first and wedges next. At the end of the lesson series, you should feel comfortable with all shots around the green. This will result in hitting it closer and being able to make more putts.
The full swing approach is “centered” around an athletic setup and balance. Our other areas of focus will be the clubʼs path and face angle. Through these laws and principles, you will gain the knowledge and ability to produce a repeatable golf swing.
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2019 SCPGA Youth Player Development Award
- 2019 SDPGA Youth Player Development Award
- 2016 SDPGA Player Development Award
- 2014 SDPGA Junior Golf Leader Award
- 2015 & 2016 Top 50 US Kids Instructor (Honorable Mention)
- 2020 PGA Professional National Championship Qualifier
- 2017 SCPGA California Cup Team Member
- 2016 SCPGA Honors Cup Team Member
- 2014-2019 SDPGA San Diego Cup Team Member
- 2020 SCPGA Junior Golf Committee
- PGA Class A Member (2013 - Present)
- Nike Golf Staff Member (2007 - 2017)
- Titleist Staff Member (2017 - Present)
- Half Hour $50
- Series of (6) $250 Junior Hour $80
- Series of (6) $400 Adult Half Hour $60
- Series of (6) $300 Adult Hour $100
- Series of (6) $500